Saturday, February 25, 2006

Riots in Triese, circa October 1945


Photo shows: The riots in Trieste, circa October 1945

Riots in Trieste

In my article on Trieste (A2166130) I spoke of the almost daily riots that took place in the city, I give a small quote below.
“The regiment was very involved with the keeping of the peace in Trieste itself, as there were a lot of political parties and even numerous states trying to seize control of the Venezia Giulia area. It was quite common to be sitting in a cinema in town and to have a notice flashed on the screen that said: 'All troops must return immediately to their units.' On our arrival back in camp we would find ourselves being armed and sent back to the town in convoy to control the riots that were taking place.”
The photo above was taken around this time. I don’t know who the photographer was so I can’t give him the necessary credits but if he/she cares to contact me I will be more than happy to make amends.
Whoever took it, it graphically shows the tail end of a Jugoslav procession being attacked by rival Italian supporters.

No comments: