Sunday, February 26, 2006

The last page in my Army Album


Photo shows: This is PART of the last page in my Album. It originally included a delightful cartoon of "Jon's" Two Types but the Moderators were not happy about the copyright, so, no JON I'm afraid !

I know I’ve said it before, but this REALLY is my last posting.

Naturally, it had to be about my old stand-by, my Army Album and the photo to head it simply had to be a picture of the last page in the aforesaid Album..

The Album itself has started to get a bit tatty, has already been rebound once, and it’s just as well that I’ve been able to get most of its contents onto this site.

Having said that, there’s still a lot of stuff that I never got around to putting into the public domain and so, just for the fun of it, I decided to list what’s left.

1.Postcards of Rome, Rimini, Bari, Florence, Sienna, Venice, Trieste and even Guelma in North Africa where I got to eat snake (too late to write about this!)

2. Restaurant bills, sundry maps, a letter from Austria sent to me some three years after the war.

3. Song sheet bought for the equivalent of one new penny in the streets of Trieste.

4. Sundry photos of all sizes showing many friends last seen more than sixty two years ago

5.Theatre bill of a show held in the NAAFI canteen in Rome

6. Newspaper cuttings, YMCA leaflet showing tours available in wartime Cairo

7. Sketches of no artistic value but still capable of forever provoking my memory.

8. A thank-you letter from the Imperial War Museum when I paid them a visit after they had a disastrous fire and were looking for German propaganda leaflets to replace those that had been lost in the blaze.

9. Lots of pages from my remaining diaries.

All in all a fascinating rag-bag of irreplaceable memorabilia and one item that is never going to end up on E-Bay, or am I tempting providence?

Hoping that my many odd (very odd) articles have given some pleasure along the way

Cheerio, Au Revoir, Arriverderci and Auf Wiedersehn

Ron Goldstein

Sometime Gunner, Trooper and finally Corporal Goldstein R. 14300260 4th Queen’s Own Hussars.

No comments: